(a) A person who has a reportable conviction or adjudication or who is required to register as a condition of parole, release to mandatory supervision, or community supervision shall register or, if the person is a person for whom registration is completed under this chapter, verify registration as provided by Subsection (f), with the local law enforcement authority in any municipality where the person resides or intends to reside for more than seven days. If the person does not reside or intend to reside in a municipality, the person shall register or verify registration in any county where the person resides or intends to reside for more than seven days. The person shall satisfy the requirements of this subsection not later than the later of:
(1) the seventh day after the person’s arrival in the municipality or county; or
(2) the first date the local law enforcement authority of the municipality or county by policy allows the person to register or verify registration, as applicable.
(b) The department shall provide the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the Texas Juvenile Justice Department, and each local law enforcement authority, authority for campus security, county jail, and court with a form for registering persons required by this chapter to register.
(c) The registration form shall require:
(1) the person’s full name, date of birth, sex, race, height, weight, eye color, hair color, social security number, driver’s license number, and shoe size;
(1-a) the address at which the person resides or intends to reside or, if the person does not reside or intend to reside at a physical address, a detailed description of each geographical location at which the person resides or intends to reside;
(1-b) each alias used by the person and any home, work, or cellular telephone number of the person;
(2) a recent color photograph or, if possible, an electronic digital image of the person and a complete set of the person’s fingerprints;
(3) the type of offense the person was convicted of, the age of the victim, the date of conviction, and the punishment received;
(4) an indication as to whether the person is discharged, paroled, or released on juvenile probation, community supervision, or mandatory supervision;
(5) an indication of each license, as defined by Article 62.005(g), that is held or sought by the person;
(6) an indication as to whether the person is or will be employed, carrying on a vocation, or a student at a particular public or private institution of higher education in this state or another state, and the name and address of that institution;
(7) the identification of any online identifier established or used by the person;
(8) the vehicle registration information, including the make, model, vehicle identification number, color, and license plate number, of any vehicle owned by the person, if the person has a reportable conviction or adjudication for an offense under:
(A) Section 20A.02(a)(3), (4), (7), or (8), Penal Code; or
(9) any other information required by the department.
(d) The registration form must contain a statement and description of any registration duties the person has or may have under this chapter.
(e) Not later than the third day after a person’s registering, the local law enforcement authority with whom the person registered shall send a copy of the registration form to the department and, if the person resides on the campus of a public or private institution of higher education, to any authority for campus security for that institution.
(f) Not later than the seventh day after the date on which the person is released, a person for whom registration is completed under this chapter shall report to the applicable local law enforcement authority to verify the information in the registration form received by the authority under this chapter. The authority shall require the person to produce proof of the person’s identity and residence before the authority gives the registration form to the person for verification. If the information in the registration form is complete and accurate, the person shall verify registration by signing the form. If the information is not complete or not accurate, the person shall make any necessary additions or corrections before signing the form.
(g) A person who is required to register or verify registration under this chapter shall ensure that the person’s registration form is complete and accurate with respect to each item of information required by the form in accordance with Subsection (c).
(h) If a person subject to registration under this chapter does not move to an intended residence by the end of the seventh day after the date on which the person is released or the date on which the person leaves a previous residence, the person shall:
(1) report to the juvenile probation officer, community supervision and corrections department officer, or parole officer supervising the person by not later than the seventh day after the date on which the person is released or the date on which the person leaves a previous residence, as applicable, and provide the officer with the address of the person’s temporary residence; and
(2) continue to report to the person’s supervising officer not less than weekly during any period of time in which the person has not moved to an intended residence and provide the officer with the address of the person’s temporary residence.
(i) If the other state has a registration requirement for sex offenders, a person who has a reportable conviction or adjudication, who resides in this state, and who is employed, carries on a vocation, or is a student in another state shall, not later than the 10th day after the date on which the person begins to work or attend school in the other state, register with the law enforcement authority that is identified by the department as the authority designated by that state to receive registration information. If the person is employed, carries on a vocation, or is a student at a public or private institution of higher education in the other state and if an authority for campus security exists at the institution, the person shall also register with that authority not later than the 10th day after the date on which the person begins to work or attend school.
(j) If a person subject to registration under this chapter is released from a penal institution without being released to parole or placed on any other form of supervision and the person does not move to the address indicated on the registration form as the person’s intended residence or does not indicate an address on the registration form, the person shall, not later than the seventh day after the date on which the person is released:
(1) report in person to the local law enforcement authority for the municipality or county, as applicable, in which the person is residing and provide that authority with the address at which the person is residing or, if the person’s residence does not have a physical address, a detailed description of the geographical location of the person’s residence; and
(2) until the person indicates the person’s current address as the person’s intended residence on the registration form or otherwise complies with the requirements of Article 62.055, as appropriate, continue to report, in the manner required by Subdivision (1), to that authority not less than once in each succeeding 30-day period and provide that authority with the address at which the person is residing or, if applicable, a detailed description of the geographical location of the person’s residence.
(k) A person required to register under this chapter may not refuse or otherwise fail to provide any information required for the accurate completion of the registration form.
Reenacted and amended by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1008 (H.B. 867), Sec. 1.01, eff. September 1, 2005.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 661 (H.B. 2153), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2009.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 755 (S.B. 689), Sec. 5, eff. September 1, 2009.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 91 (S.B. 1303), Sec. 6.005, eff. September 1, 2011.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 734 (H.B. 1549), Sec. 17, eff. September 1, 2015.
Acts 2017, 85th Leg., R.S., Ch. 685 (H.B. 29), Sec. 17, eff. September 1, 2017.
Art. 62.001. | Art. 62.002. | Art. 62.003. | Art. 62.004. | Art. 62.0045. | Art. 62.005. | Art. 62.006. | Art. 62.0061. | Art. 62.007. | Art. 62.008. | Art. 62.009. | Art. 62.010. | Art. 62.052. | Art. 62.053. | Art. 62.054. | Art. 62.055. | Art. 62.0551. | Art. 62.056. | Art. 62.057. | Art. 62.058. | Art. 62.059. | Art. 62.060. | Art. 62.061. | Art. 62.062. | Art. 62.063. | Art. 62.064. | Art. 62.065. | Art. 62.101. | Art. 62.102. | Art. 62.151. | Art. 62.152. | Art. 62.153. | Art. 62.201. | Art. 62.202. | Art. 62.2021. | Art. 62.203. | Art. 62.251. | Art. 62.301. | Art. 62.351. | Art. 62.352. | Art. 62.353. | Art. 62.354. | Art. 62.355. | Art. 62.356. | Art. 62.357. | Art. 62.401. | Art. 62.402. | Art. 62.403. | Art. 62.404. | Art. 62.405. | Art. 62.406. | Art. 62.407. | Art. 62.408.